Monday, January 07, 2008

Knowing God Through the Love of His People


There is so much I want to share with you this morning. A lot has gone on since I last wrote on this blog. I won’t finish updating you today but I wanted to get started.

In the midst of writing a new book we have had some problems and the love and support shown to us by our little church reminds me so much of Jeremiah 22:16:

“He helped those who were poor and needy, so everything went well for him. That is what it means to know God,” says the Lord.”[1]

In a very real way, we have come to know God even better through the love and care we have received. Here is a recent example:

On New Year ’s Eve just before midnight, I suddenly experienced great difficulty breathing. After a terrifying ambulance ride I spent the rest of the night and most of New Year’s Day at the hospital. At this point, it is believed that I had a small heart attack and possibly have some sort of blockage.

I have been able to be home but not able to do a lot since then. Wednesday morning several people including Pastor Lighthill and others came to pray for me. That evening the ladies ministry began bringing in dinner every night. Billy Ray is really getting into this having ladies bring dinner. The picture is with Denise Lighthill on the night she brought it.

Since starting this blog I have gotten email from people in churches who say that they don’t know how to reach out to families of special needs children and adults. The reality is that much of what our church does for us they would do for any other family in the church who has had health or other difficulty. I remember my Mom taking meals to folks when there had been a death in the family or someone was ill.

The amazing thing to me this past year is the way the Lord seems to speak our needs and even wants. Here’s a couple of examples that showed God’s love to me:

The ladies’ ministry has a secret sister program where everyone draws names and does things secretly throughout the year for the person whose name they drew. All last year I kept saying that the person who drew my name must have been in our home and really knew me. I was convinced that it was our pastor’s wife because there were cards with verses about lighthouses, gifts with lighthouses and things that I could really use. To my surprise my secret sister was Sonia, who I don’t know well at all and she has never been to my house. When I thanked her , I marveled at how she could know such perfect gifts. She said that she prayed about it because she didn’t know me well and each time the Lord just seem to lead her to something.

Also regarding the meals the ladies have brought in, it has amazed me how many family favorites have been brought that no one would know unless the Lord led.

I written on this blog and elsewhere about what I like to call the Lighthouse Concept where we look to the Lord to know what to do for our children with special needs. Apparently it works very well for knowing how to reach out to others too!!!

At noon today I have a stress test scheduled to try to discover if there is blockage in my heart. There is another one scheduled for tomorrow, Tuesday. I will try to keep you posted on how we are doing. If they would find blockage and I have to go to surgery, Pastor Lighthill will post on here so you know how we are.

Until next time,
Peggy Lou Morgan
For a complete list of my sites see http://www.peggyloumorgan.com/

[1]The Holy Bible : New Century Version , containing the Old and New Testaments. 1991 . Word Bibles: Dallas, TX

No comments: